Saturday Afternoon, March 25, 2017
Jacobs Hall, Jacobs School of Engineering
Keynote III and Poster Sessions
Booker Conference Suite
14:00 ‐ 15:00 Keynote Presentations III (Chairman, Charles W. Tu, Professor, UC San Diego)
- Kin Lu Wong, National Chair Professor, NSYSU
“Multi-Gbps Massive MIMO for Next-Generation Mobile Devices and MIMO System Performance Verification”
- Peter M. Asbeck, Skyworks Chair Professor, UC San Diego
“Devices and Circuits for 5G Wireless Communications”
Jacobs Hall Lobby
15:00 ‐ 16:00 Poster Session (Chairman, Paul K. Yu, Professor, UC San Diego)Photonics & Materials
- Ashok Kodigala. Advisor: Boubacar Kante, UC San Diego
"Nanophotonic Lasers based on Bound States in the Continuum"
- Chih-Yu Tsai. Advisor: Kin Lu Wong, NSYSU
“Compact Two-Antenna Building Block for Forming the Massive MIMO Antenna Array in the 5G Multi-Gbps Smartphone”
- Weichuan Yao. Advisor: Tse Nga Ng, UC San Diego
"Characterization of Novel Organic Short Wavelength Infrared Photosensors"
- Jia-Ren Zou. Advisor: Yi-jen Chiu, NSYSU
“Design of Highly Efficient DFB Laser Using the Integration of High Coupling Si Grating”
- Cheng-Yi Fang. Advisor: Y. Shaya Fainman, UC San Diego
"Low Resistance Tunnel Junctions for Efficient Electrically Pumped Nanolasers"
- Rih-You Chen. Advisor: Yi-jen Chiu, NSYSU
“Integration of Electroabsorption Modulator and Semiconductor Optical Amplifier for Dispersion Compensation in Long Distance Optical Fiber Transmission”
- Suruj Deka. Advisor: Y. Shaya Fainman, UC San Diego
"Characterization Techniques and Analysis of Fundamental Capabilities of Metal-clad Semiconductor Nanolasers"
- Lujiang Yan. Advisor: Yuhwa Lo, UC San Diego
"An Amorphous Silicon Photodiode with 2 THz Gain – Bandwidth Product Based on Cycling Excitation Process"
- Duan-Yi Guo. Advisor: Tsung-Hsien Lin, NSYSU
“Linear/nonlinear Electro-optical Effect in 3D Photonic Liquid Crystal”
- Hung-Hsi Lin. Advisor: Y. Shaya Fainman, E. Fullerton, UC San Diego
"Synthesis of Second-order Nonlinearities in Dielectric-Semiconductor-Dielectric Metamaterials"
- Rui La. Advisor: Charles W. Tu, UC San Diego
"Self-Catalyzed Core-Shell GaAs/GaNAs Nanowires Grown on Patterned Si (111) by Gas-Source Molecular Beam Epitaxy"
- Mao-Chou Tai. Advisor: Tsung-Hsien Lin, NSYSU
“Control of Uniform Lying Helix Alignment in Liquid Crystal”
- Haoliang Qian and Yuzhe Xiao. Advisor: Zhaowei Liu, UC San Diego
"Ultrahigh Nonlinear Effect from Quantum Metal Films"
- Din-Hsin Ou. Advisor: Chao-Kuei Lee, NSYSU
“Parametric Frequency Conversion in Ta2O5 Based Micro-ring Cavity”
- Mu-Han Yang. Advisor: Y. Shaya Fainman, UC San Diego
"Non-Degenerate Multiphoton Microscopy for Deep Brain Imaging"
- Ho-Nien Wang. Advisor: Chin-Ping Yu, NSYSU
“Highly Sensitive Miniature Optical Fiber Sensors”
- Lorraine Hossain and Mehran Ganji. Advisor: Shadi Dayeh, UC San Diego
"Optimizing the Biotic-abiotic Electrochemical Interface for Mapping Brain Activity"
- Wei-Xiang Huang. Advisor: Chia-Chien Wei, NSYSU
“Novel Bandwidth-Efficient Optical Duo-Quaternary Modulation and Its Transmission Performance”
- Kangwei Wang. Advisor: Paul K. Yu, Zhaowei Liu, UC San Diego
"Second-order Susceptibility Enhancement in Gallium Nitride Nanopillars"
- Chia-Ju Yu. Advisor: Yung-Jr Hung, NSYSU
“Apodized Silicon Waveguide Grating Reflectors with Index-compensated Sidewall Modulations”
- Atsunori Tanaka. Advisor: Shadi Dayeh, UC San Diego
"When Si Tango with GaN, Thermal Mismatches are Overcome for Thick GaN-on-Si Vertical Power Devices"
- Pritesh Parikh. Advisor: Ying Shirley Meng, UC San Diego
"Elucidating the Three Dimensional Nanoscale Structure of Semiconductors and Oxides"
- Ren-Huai Jhang. Advisor: Chun-Hu Chen, NSYSU
“Graphene Oxide and Its Composites for Wafer-scale Grating and Bio-sensor”
- Yun Goo Ro. Advisor: Shadi Dayeh, UC San Diego
"Microwire Solar Cells on Flex for Powering Wearable Devices"
- Cheng-Jung Hsu. Advisor: Yang-Yih Chen, NSYSU
“Application of Wave Spectra Partitioning Method”
- Robert Tuttle. Advisor: Paul Jensen, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
“Secondary Metabolite Mediated Predator Deterrence in Salinispora Species”
- Ke-Hsien Fu. Advisor: Yu-Huai Wang, NSYSU
“The Deformation of Internal Solitons on the Slope of Dongsha Atoll”
- Celia Ou. Advisor: Shaun Johnston, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
“Observations of Internal Waves and Wakes at Tall, Steep Topography”
- Jheng-Jhang Li. Advisor: Hsiu-Chin Lin, NSYSU
“Revision of Parasesarma leptosoma (Hilgendorf, 1869) Species-group, with Five Pseudocryptic Species from the West Pacific”
- Chomgun Cho. Advisor: Heechun Song, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
“Iterative Source-range Estimation in a Sloping-bottom Shallow-water Waveguide Using the Generalized Array Invariant”
- Leeann K. Alferness, Advisor: Dimitri Deheyn, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
“Extraction and Purification of Light Producing Proteins from Luminous Brittlestar Ophiopsila californica (Echinodermata)”
- Daniel Conley. Advisor: Greg Mitchell, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
“The Effect of the Alleviation Level on the Accuracy of the Automated Annotator in CoralNet”
- Eva L. Sachez Alvarez. Advisor: Mark Hildebrand, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
“Evaluating Growth and TAG Accumulation of the Environmentally Flexible Alga Marinichlorella kaisitae KAS603 under Diverse Cultivation Regimes”
- Cody Yau. Advisor: Cheng-Shan Liu, NSYSU
“Securitizing Hong Kong: from Non-Politicization to “Securitization” (1997~2016)”
- Yin Yuan, UC San Diego
“Analysis of Provincial Newspapers in China”
- Aliya Peleo. Advisor: Chiahao Hsu, NSYSU
“Biopolitics of Agrarian Reforms in the Philippines”
- Luke Sanford and Shane Xuan, UC San Diego
“Strategic Tweeting: An Analysis of State-Run Media Using Evidence from China”
- Hui-Wen Hsueh, NSYSU
“From the Theory of Offensive Realism to View the U.S.-China Relations: During the Period of Mr. Xi and President Obama”
Booker Conference Suite
16:00 - 16:15 Closing Ceremony